Friday, March 2, 2012

The Best Invention EVER!!!

Contrary to popular opinion its not sliced bread.  In fact, my contender for the best invention ever is LINGERIE STRAPS!!!

I was in the process of putting the finishing touches on this dress:

Vintage Vogue Pattern V1127
More to come on this dress later!

And I came to the instructions for something called Lingerie Straps... I was thinking what the?  But then I read it and OH MY GOD BEST INVENTION EVER!!  These are little straps that you put at the top of the shoulder on the inside of the dress that have a little press stud at one end, and they hold your dress to your bra strap!

  These instructions have changed my life!

I don't know about you but I have a few dresses that sit almost on the edge of my shoulder and they have a habit of falling down, or feeling like they are falling down, and that drives me mad.  One of these dresses is a beautiful vintage dress I bought to compete in the Miss Pinup Australia finals in next week.  And the last thing I want to be doing when I'm posing on stage is pulling it up all the time.  So I thought I'd add some lingerie straps... but lo and behold it ALREADY HAD THEM!

See the cute little white strap?  And it works like a charm too!

It also has this other weird strap... I have no idea what it's purpose is yet but give me time I'll work it out!

Any ideas?

Right, so I didn't have to sew them to that dress, but there was another dress that I'd made from a vintage pattern that fell down constantly.  This one:

I call this dress my Parrot Dress because the fabric has macaws on it - love it!

So I got busy and made lingerie straps from bias tape that matching the edges of the dress, and some little snaps I had.  It was a pretty straightforward job I must admit, and not too time consuming, but wow did it make the dress so much easier and more comfortable to wear!

I just noticed my foot in this photo - how tiny does it look all the way down there!

In closing, this has been a real eye opener for me, and I will now be adding these little straps to just about every dress I make, and some that I already own.  Such a small thing for so much benefit!

Beccie
xx

2 comments:

  1. I made some of these fr a slightly off the shoulder dress last year as the pattern recommended buying some but they are so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, they are sooo simple to make it would be a waste of money to buy them! And I'm not even sure I could find them in a store...

    ReplyDelete