Monday, March 5, 2012

My Favourite Thing About Vintage Patterns

There is a lot that makes me happy about sewing from vintage patterns... the history, the beautiful designs and attention to detail, that old-paper smell... but my favourite thing would have to be the pattern illustrations.

Take a look at these for example:

I love this coat pattern, and not because its the first thing I sewed

Look how happy this girl looks to be wearing this very pretty patterned dress!

So very elegant!
But it did take me a little while to realise that the yellow thing is a HAT
not an UMBRELLA... confusing considering the way she holds her hands... 

Land ahoy!

Maybe thats one of the reasons I feel so compelled to collect them.  The illustrations are beautiful, and can be very frivilous, much like a lot of the fashions of the 1950s really.

All this is leading somewhere I promise!  

I was sitting on the lounge the other night and a thought popped into my head... When I photograph my creations I should pose the same way the girls are posing on the pattern envelopes!!!  And maybe one day when I have a better photography setup (ie. a background) I can recreate the pattern envelope for my blog!

I was really excited about the creative challenge behind this, so stay tuned for some pretty poses in my creations next time I blog about a completed project... which will be very soon!

Beccie

No comments:

Post a Comment