Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Fall for Cotton : The Odds Are Stacked Against Me...

Those of you who follow my Facebook page will know that I haven't been very well.  Last week I was hit by the flu, which then morphed into bronchitis.  It hit me so hard that I did absolutely no sewing last weekend.  In fact, I was in bed for four days straight.

I know that the Fall for Cotton deadline is fast approaching, and with that in mind, yesterday afternoon I was feeling well enough to go to work on my dress.  I wasn't moving at any where near my usual pace, but it was nice to actually be doing something.

Stella has been a fantastic nurse while I've been sick.  She has never been too far away.  And while I was sewing she took a nap in the fabric I've reserved for the skirt.

Miss Stella needs a hair cut... I'll add that to the list of things I need to do...

After I finished cutting out the pieces I attached the piping to the decorative pieces.  First I pinned it:


Then I sewed a line of stitching basically over the line of the stitching on the piping:


Then I clipped the curves so it would lay flat:


I repeated these steps for all the pieces and then layed them out so I could feel clever:


I was still feeling ok so I sewed the bodice of the dress together and pinned the decorative piped pieces to the bodice.  Then I stood back and felt really clever!



So its not perfect (for instance the top piping line on the back isn't on straight) but its a start.  And it didn't take too long and I didn't have to put in much effort.  I've made a start hand sewing on the decorative bits, but I haven't gotten really far with that.  My aim is to rest a lot and to have the hand sewing done by the weekend so I can hopefully finish the dress on Saturday.  If I don't manage to finish it this weekend, I won't make it into the Fall For Cotton Sew-along.  So everyone cross your fingers for me, ok?

Due to the fact that I have barely sewn a stitch recently, this is my only blog post this week.  I'll be back next week with (fingers crossed) this finished dress!

Beccie
xxx

5 comments:

  1. Your bodice is fantastic! I'm so impressed. You really are an inspiration!XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! I hope you check back in and see the finished product - I've just loaded the photos :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, poor Beccie! Early this autumn I had the flu as well, and my daughter too, and I had even a broken toe. My "Fall for Cotton" dress is non-existing. I doubt I make it in time. With 2 little ones it was just impossible. But then, I'm happy the little princess is well again.

    Your dress looks very promising. I am amazed, you always have so wonderful ideas and realise to turn them into the most beautiful dresses! I hope you can continue and finish with this gorgeous dress! And get well soon! Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats such a shame you won't get your dress done Doris! I really hope you make it anyway because I ADORE your fabric. I adore it so much I have 5 metres of it sitting in my sewing room right now!

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am excited to see what you are going to make from that fabric. You will probably finish earlier than me. I bump into chairs and rocking horses at least once a day with my broke toe. No wonder it won't get better.
      Of course I'm disappointed, it was my fist sew-along ever.

      Delete